Tuesday 16 December 2014

I call it my Cactus Pot...

I believe that anything can get a new life with some personal touch. We had a puja at our home, for which the priest/pandit ji gave a list of items. One item was a clay pitcher or pot for Kalash. But he performed the rituals using a brass pot as Kalash instead of the clay pot and it remained unused. From that day it was in my mind that I'll do something with this pot. Here I am sharing a DIY idea, which can give a new look to any clay pot.


Items required are :
1- A clay pot of any shape
2- Water
3- Plaster of Paris
4- Glue or glue gun (I used Fevicol)
5- Acrylic paint
6- Paint brush
7- Plate and spoon for mixing Plaster of Paris
8- Glitter powder (optional)


Step-1 

Mix plaster of paris powder with water in 2:1 ratio. Don't mix a lot of quantity at a time as it hardens very fast. So its better to mix in batches. Mix up to this consistency. 


Step- 2

Take a very small portion of this mixture and make small peak like shapes by using hand. Cover the whole pot with such shapes. 


Step- 3

Leave it to dry under sun for whole day. Sometimes a few pieces may come out after drying. Let dry all the pieces and the pot completely. Then by using gum stick back the pieces.





Step- 4

After sticking the pieces leave it for sometime to dry. Then paint the whole pot with colour of your choice. If required apply 2 to 3 coats. I used white acrylic paint.

Step- 5

Sprinkle glitter powder on the pot before the paint completely dries. This step is optional. You can paint it in different shades.

When the paint dries completely your pot is ready. This pot is water proof so can use it in garden also.

Now why I named it as Cactus Pot...any guesses???
When my pot was done and I hold it in my hand tightly, then I felt some pinching effect of the peak like design. So I named it as Cactus Pot J

My Cactus pot in different set ups...



And now it is adding more beauty to my small balcony garden...


This pot making procedure is little time taking as we have to wait for the plaster of paris to dry for hours. But it is super easy as well as is not going to burn a hole on your pocket. Another thing I want to share is after doing anything with plaster of paris mixture don't wash the mixing plate in wash basin or kitchen sink as it may block the drain pipe. Just clean it with a paper or cloth and throw it. Or best thing is to use an use and through plate to make the mixture. 

Please do let me know how do you find it. 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! easy to make and it turns out to be so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb!. Looks so easy to do!. It would been good if some other color was used, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its quite easy Vasudha...
      Yes may be, but I painted it white keeping in mind the colour of other items of my balcony garden...they are all in white :)

      Delete
  3. Super!! Can't wait to try :)

    ReplyDelete