Tuesday 23 June 2015

DIY : Tribal Mask

HELLO all wonderful people out there....

Here I am back with another DIY idea - A tribal mask. For a long time we (me and the man in the house) were searching for a couple tribal mask for the entrance of our home. Once visited a street side vendor who sells the terracotta masks. But there was no variety and what he had are very common. Even we have seen those at many known person's home. Then visited two popular home furnishing stores, but the masks there were too big according to our requirement. So we came back empty handed. Then sat in front of laptop and searched some online shopping sites. Finally got a pair of circular tribal mask of our choice *smile*, but our hard luck it was out of stock *sad*. Then when I saw him...he was gazing at me with raised eye brows and said "why don't you make one...ditto". As I love challenges, I accepted this challenge. Made a beautiful pair of mask..have a look....
Do you want to make something like this....here is the tutorial...

Items required
1- Paper Mache clay (click here to learn how to make it)
2- Some wire
3- White paper 
4- Fevicryl Shilpkar clay
5- Acrylic Paint 
6- Paint Brush 
7- Glue 
8- Beads 
9- Thread 
10- Plaster of Paris/white cement - 2tsp 
11- Few items to make the designs and impressions 
(Pen, paper knife, artificial earrings etc) 

Step-1 
I took a piece of wire around 4 c.m. and made a hook like the following picture. It is for hanging the mask. Then drawn a circle on paper. Made the circumference of the circle according to the size of the mask I needed. Then covered the circle with paper mache clay. With wet hand made its surface as smooth as possible. Inserted the hook slowly. Left it to dry for around two days. Made a mixture of white cement /plaster of Paris and water. Once the circle dried applied this paste by using a paint brush to make it completely smooth. Left it to dry for some more time. 

(Note: while carrying out this procedure place the paper over a tray or a card board or two three newspapers, as a single paper may torn out while moving it for drying.)
Step-2
After applying some talcum powder on hand I took equal portions of both mixtures of Shilpkar white clay. Mixed them well and by using this made the designs. In some places it was not sticking properly on the paper mache base so I used some glue. I made the patterns using a pen and a paper knife. Made the ear in such a way that the lower portion of it was not on the paper mache base and was slightly bulging out. Made a small hole on it, it's kind of piercing ears for earring *smile*.
Step-3
Made all the designs and all parts of the face. I made a couple. Both designs are almost same, only difference is made a mustache on man mask and a bindi on forehead and nose pins in the woman mask. I made some patterns by gently pressing an artificial earring on the ears and the jewelries on the forehead. Then painted it in brown, golden and red. Left it to dry for an hour. The beads I had were of different colours so first I painted those. Then took some beads and thread and made the earrings. Then tied the earring. 
(Note: can tie an artificial ready made earring directly) 
Once my masks were ready they moved to the entrance of our home and are now proudly hanging there. Everyone who visits us asks about them and their complement makes me blush *smile*. Now happy me and super happy the man in the house. 

Hope you liked this DIY and I am waiting for your feedback. If you have any ideas like this and want to share with me then you can share on my Facebook page or mail me at whencreativejuicesflow@gmail.com. I would love to see it. 

Soon I am coming up with a post on the entrance make over of my home. Till then stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely..I will try this for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too gud.....I lov to try it out. But y man has earrings??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...he he right. In general man doesn't, but have seen both ancient tribal men & women wearing jewelries. So added earrings :) :). Would love to see your mask, please share a pic once you are done.

      Delete