Friday 18 December 2015

Jhoti or Chita or Alpana

We all love to decorate our home and when a special occasion comes, it always comes with some associated tradition and special decoration. There are a lot of traditional ways of decorating house in India; one of them is Jhoti / Chita (in Odisha) or Alpana (in West Bengal). We can say this is a kind of folk art in which the entire house and specially the entrance of the house is decorated with motifs using a semi liquid rice paste and fingers as brush. I have seen few using cotton also for making the motifs. In some rural areas the motifs are also drawn on the mud walls in villages.
In Odisha, this art form is specially associated with Laxmi Puja. During the Hindu month of Margishira (mid of November-mid of December), when the grain of Khariff season is harvested and stored, on each Thursday of the whole month Goddess Laxmi is worshiped. This festival or occasion is known as Manabasa Guruvaar in Odisha and during this home is decorated with these motifs. So this is the time of the year when we (Odiyas) worship Maa Laxmi, though the rituals vary according different areas of the state. 
I also try to bring in the feeling of this festival at my home, but I know that I am not that competent like my Mother in law and mother, still I try my level best. Though the motifs that I make are not that perfect still I am sharing with you all. 


When these motifs are drawn on floor and are wet, then they are transparent or translucent. After drying they become complete white and in real sense they come to life. 
On the whole Thursday they are admired and appreciated, but it is heart breaking when they are cleaned on Friday morning. 











No comments:

Post a Comment