Friday 11 September 2015

DIY Corn Husk Flowers

When pitter patter falls the rain…most of us love to have roasted corn or the famous “Bhuna hua bhutta” in India. Now it has become a classic Indian street food during monsoons and even after. The aroma of roasted corn with the masaala and lemon brings lots of joys as well as it's a healthy option for some evening munching. 

Hey No No…I am not going to share its recipe with you all today. I hope you all have relished lots of roasted corn like me this monsoon and also going to have it for some more days, so now it's the time to make some flowers from corn husk. Yes, that corn husk which we usually throw away without any second thought. These flowers are very easy to make, inexpensive and can be stored for a long time.
Items required:
1. Corn Husk (Take 10-12 number of outer layers of corn husks, which are thick and big enough to cut the petals. Let it dry completely, but not sun-dried. I kept the fresh corn husks in my kitchen in a basket for a week where sun rays falls through the glass window. I kept on turning them daily.Then it was ready for making flowers.)
2. Wire for making the stem of the flower
3. Thread
4. Green tape
5. Scissors
6. Wire Cutter
7. Acrylic paint and paint brush (optional)                      
Step-1 & 2
Draw petal designs with a pencil on the corn husk. You can make any shape and size. Then cut the petals carefully and slowly with scissors. 
Step-3 & 4
Take a 5/5 c.m. of husk piece and fold it in half. Then take a piece of wire according to the length of your flower vase where you want to keep the flowers. 
Step-5 & 6
Then curl the husk as shown in the image below. Tie it tightly with thread.
Step-7 & 8
Then one by one tie the petals.
Step-9 & 10
Once your flowers are ready cover the stem portion with green tape. Make same leaves also. 
Now it's time to arrange the flowers and the leaves in any flower vase of your choice. That's all and it's ready. 

Initially I was thinking of colouring the flowers, but without colour also they looked awesome. Then I got confused that whether I should paint it or let it as it is. Then also asked my Facebook viewers their opinion. I got a mixed opinion, so for the time being I have not painted it. Thinking of enjoying its natural look for few days and after some days will paint it, to give another look *smile*.
   

I hope next time when you will bring corn, you will not simply throw its husk. 
I will suggest to make the flowers only when the husks are completely dried, so that I can be stored for long time. To increase its durability we can apply a coat of touch wood or varnish also.  

No comments:

Post a Comment