Friday 15 May 2015

Garden Accessory: DIY Mushroom

I have a small balcony garden and just love to add a lot of characters and drama to it. Garden accessories perk up the space and something handmade can add life to any place. Today I am going to share an idea that I had made around before two years when I moved to my present home. Before few days I have made it again only to share the idea with you all. It's a very simple and inexpensive DIY i.e. to make small small cute cute mushrooms to enhance the beauty of your garden using Plaster of Paris. So let's make it. :) :)


Items required:
1- Plaster of Paris 
2- Egg shells (If you are vegetarian can use any other thing that will give a half circle shape or can go for appam pan having small small circles or chocolate moulds)
3- Acrylic Paint 
4- Paint Brush
5- Some pens (I used some use and through pens that I never threw after using ;) or you can use normal sticks)  
6- A pot and a spoon for mixing Plaster of Paris 
7- Water


Step-1
Mix POP and water in 2:1 ratio and make a mixture like this. 


Step-2
Fill the egg shells with the POP mixture by gently tapping it. So that no air bubble is left.


Step-3
Then immediately put the pen in it. (Don't allow the POP mixture to stand for some time as it dries very fast.)


Step-4
Allow it to dry completely under sun for one whole day. Then slowly take out the egg shells. Some time they may not come out very easily, then try to remove the shell slowly by breaking it with fingers from one side. Do it just as you peel the boiled eggs. 


Step-5
First apply one coat of white colour from all sides. 


Step-6
Then paint it with whatever patterns you want using colours of your own choice. I kept it simple with the polka dots and colours according to the colours of the pen I used.


Tada its ready.. :) :)


The best thing about these mushrooms are that they are very inexpensive, looks beautiful and are water resistant so can keep it in the outdoor without worrying about sun and rain :) :). My garden looks so happy with these mushrooms. I think you all must love to bring that happiness to your place too. I have also made a hanging bird bath for my garden, you can find the tutorial here

I have made a full one dozen of it, some are in my garden and some are packed as gifts for some of my plant loving friends.

Hope you will find this tutorial useful.
Keep smiling :) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment