Sunday 12 June 2016

An Affair with Hand Fan

Hi there....
You may find it funny and crazy, but yes hand fan makes me nostalgic. 

Summer brings so many memories of childhood. The long summer vacations and the trip to village where my grandparents lived are the first thing that comes to mind. I feel those days were not that fiery hot as they are now. There were so many long power cuts, but it never bothered us (me, my brother and my cousins). Many nights passed without electricity and without fan discussing some horror stories. When there were long power cuts and electric fans gave up, something that came to rescue were hand fans. Some days I can remember whole night Maa used to blow the hand fan so that we can fall asleep peacefully. Nothing can compensate a mother’s love. Sometimes I feel lucky to be born in 80’s. As kids we have experienced the transition phase from fan to air coolers and then air conditioners and in between the hand fans had shown their faces too *smiles*.

Now the traditional hand fans have started to become extinct species. In the era of inverter or generator there is no need of these hand fans and they are losing their functionality. It is even sometime tough to find these in market. I have many memories associated with hand fans, so they find a special place in my home, as home décor accessories. Few hand fans in my home in different avatars are here...
A fold able hand fan. It's a travel souvenir from Sikkim. Now foyer of my home looks like this, do you know how it was looking earlier??? In the picture you can see my handmade tribal bottles also. 
A peacock feather hand fan, also a travel souvenir. Opps can't remember from where!!! *smile* The small vase with a dangler, holding peacock feathers is hand made. 
A white metal antique look hand fan, along with some other white metal elements.
A traditional bamboo hand fan of Odisha and with that few hand made paper baskets
A small fold able hand fan…
As this post is about hand fans, here I am saying SAYONARA and see you in next post. 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post thanks for sharing the post.Your blogs are admirable and full of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete