Tuesday 14 July 2015

Lord Jagannath made from Coconut Shell

This week we are going to celebrate the annual Rath Yatra (car festival) of Lord Jagannath in Puri, Odisha and many other parts of the country too. Lord Jagannath along with his siblings Lord Balabhadra and Devi Subhadra are worshiped in almost every Odiya home. As my roots are from Odisha I am deeply attached with this festival. Since I have entered into the world of blogging, now my ideas are not taking rest for a long time on the to do list and they get life whenever I have time. I thought this is the perfect time to make something for my home and also for my readers. This DIY can be done using all the items which are easily available at home.
Items required
1- Coconut Shells- 3
2- Old invitation cards (can use any thick paper)
3- Newspaper
4- Acrylic paint (Black, yellow, white, red)
5- Glue (Fevicol)
6- A stick for rolling the newspaper
7- Paint brush
8- Scissors
9- Pen / pencil
10- Items for decoration - Golden 3D out liner, beads
Step-1
I had cut the newspaper into 3-9 inch pieces. From one corner I started rolling the paper using a stick. While rolling the paper I kept on pulling the stick from one end. Once done applied some glue at the end. Then pulled out the stick. Made around 12-15 sticks.
Step-2
Then slightly flattened the sticks with finger and rolled it. Applied some glue on the paper while rolling. Made three rings from the paper sticks. For one ring 3 sticks are required. I had three coconut shells, two were of equal diameter (used for making Lord Jagannath and Lord Balabhadra) and one was smaller (used for Devi Subhadra). I had yellow, white and maroon colour invitation cards. Used the maroon colour card for Lord Jagannath. Placed a coconut shell on the card and first made an outline. 
Step-3
Then made some patterns like the following picture. On other colour cards also first made an outline of the coconut shell then made the same pattern and cut the designs. 
Step-4
Drawn some eyes, nose and mouth on the white invitation card with pencil. Sorry the picture is not very clear *sad*. Made completely round eyes for Lord Jagannath and Lord Balabhadra. Then painted the center portion of maroon card in black for making Lord Jagannath. Then painted its outer design in yellow. Similarly painted the outer design of white in yellow and that of yellow in pink. Painted the eyes nose and mouth.
Step-5
First placed all the parts on the face, then carefully glued them. Then by using a 3D out liner made some designs. Also made the tilaks and bindi on forehead. On Devi Subhdra's face made one nose ring. Left it for around an hour to dry. Then painted the coconut shells and the paper rings in black. 
Step-6
Then kept the back of the face upside. Applied glue on the edges of coconut shell and placed it on that. The edges of the coconut shells I used were not perfectly even. So after sticking the face designs on the coconut shell I placed them on a cushion and gently pressed it, by doing this all portions were perfectly glued. Left it to dry for an hour. 
Step-7
Applied some glue on paper ring and fixed this on the coconut shell as the image below to make the base. Likewise made all the three. The coconut shell I used for Devi Subhadra was very small and was not resting properly on one paper ring, so I used two paper rings as base. 

Now my Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra and Devi Subhadra are ready. At last I decorated with some garland made with beads. Decoration part is up to you. You can add some more decorations too. You can engage your kids also while making this DIY. 

Hope you liked this DIY and I am waiting for your feedback. If you have any ideas and want to share with me then please drop a message on my Facebook page or mail me at whencreativejuicesflow@gmail.com. I would love to make a post on your idea *smile*. 

1 comment: